Physical Therapist Assistant Admissions
If you are interested in becoming a physical therapist assistant, there are many steps before applying to a physical therapy assistant program.
To improve your chances of admission, maintain good grades and volunteer in two or more types of physical therapy clinics where you can get to know the staff. They know you well enough to speak to your aptitude in physical therapy.
Respectfully contact physical therapy clinics, hospitals, long-term care facilities, e.g., nursing homes, and other health care settings in your area to find volunteer or observation opportunities. (APTA cannot assist you in these efforts.)
Ready to Apply to SABER's PTA Program?
Don't Wait! Fill Out This Short Form as a First Step.
Criteria for Acceptance
To be accepted into the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must submit a SABER college application, including a writing sample
- Applicants must submit a High School Diploma (or equivalent in their country of origin) or GED.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or over
- Applicant must score at the 11.0 level in mathematics, language, and reading on the TABE Test. (Students with an AA or higher degree of education are exempt)
- Applicant must submit official school transcripts documenting any previous academic work, with a minimum GPA of 2.0 average or better on a 4.0 scale, from an educational institution accredited by an agency that is recognized by the US Department of Education. This will include applicants requesting credit for general education courses previously taken at the associate degree level or higher.
- Applicant must successfully complete a personal oral interview with the Program Director and or an administrative representative of the program to evaluate the applicant’s ability to communicate satisfactorily as required by the health care delivery system. The interviewer must recommend the applicant for admission.
- Applicant must submit three letters of recommendation from a Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, previous instructor, or current/past employer. Letters must have the contact information of the person writing the recommendation, such as name, signature, phone number, and address.
- Perform a minimum of 20 observation hours in a Physical Therapy setting (signed by the supervising PT or PTA) and submit SABER College’s Clinic Observation Form in a signed sealed envelope.
- Once accepted into the program, the applicant must undergo a criminal background check and drug screen.
- Maximum enrollment for each cohort is capped at 24 students.